Civilization VI Esports Challenge
February 24 2017
Do YOU have what it takes to rule?
Since the release of Civilization VI, many greats have come to the competitive Civilization scene to take their love of the game beyond one more turn. For months Team Liquid and the rest of the competitive Civilization VI community has waited for Firaxis to fix team play. Today Firaxis announced they finally fixed team play and Team Liquid is incredibly excited to announce the inaugural Civilization VI Esports Challenge -- a 3 vs 3 tournament which will take place on March 25th-26th and will feature a $1,000 prize pool.
While many anxiously waited for Firaxis to fix team play, Team Liquid partnered with the top modders Hellblazer and Fruitstrike to design the next best thing - a balanced gameplay and a mirror map ideal for esports competition. We even designed a spectator mode so we viewers can join in on the action. With the release of team play and the addition of far superior modding tools we are going to integrate our esports mod and map with the newly released team play features to create an esports spectator mode for the competitive Civilization VI community.
For balance, Sumeria, Scythia, Rome, and Aztec will be banned in our tournament. All victory conditions will be enabled with each game consisting of a max of 100 turns. This page contains both the mod/map downloads and balance changes that will be used during the tournament. While we have spent considerable time playtesting our esports mod, we expect to make a few tweaks to incorporate the new teamplay update so please check back soon for an update.
Below you will find a registration form for your team. You will need to pick a team name and provide the email and player IDs for the three players on your team. We will close registration at 11:59PM PST on March 24th and post our brackets on March 25th at 10:00AM PST. The tournament will begin at 12:00PM PST. The Finals will take place March 26th at 12:00PM PST.
Everything will also be streamed live on Twitch at Twitch.TV/MrGameTheory.
*Note that we will be using dynamic turn timer during the tournament.
- Trading Gold per turn and trading Cities to team mates will equal instant disqualification. Both of these features are currently bugged in the real game, including the MOD, and can be manipulated to break the game. We can go into the game files during the tournament to see if players are abusing this. There is a zero tolerance of using either of these game features during the tournament.
- Players can't swap positions in matchmaking until after all players have joined. This is to prevent a big bug.
- After all players have entered the matchmaking screen then they can swap positions. There are no duplicate leaders permitted on the same team. Players will pick their leaders in the following order Slot 1, Slot 4, Slot 2, Slot 5, Slot 6, Slot 3.
- There is absolutely no position swapping permitted after the first leader is picked.
- All players must go to the Team Liquid Civilization Discord channel to talk and this will be the central hub where we will discuss all things related to the tournament and the brackets. For all details on joining the discord channel go here: https://discord.gg/qz5WGwj
- The finals will be a best of three played on Sunday. Once we close registration for the tournament we will announce the tournament schedule and all of the teams in the tournament.
League of Legends Your 4X LCS Champions are now running SAP With the League of Legends World Championship right around the corner, SAP is extending their esports involvement with us by collaborating with our League of Legends team.
League of Legends TFT Worlds Comps If you’ve been paying attention to League of Legends lately you’ll know that the TFT craze is hitting absolutely everyone. Most reasonable people would assume you would suggest your players and coaches stop playing TFT until after Worlds but what if you went in the other direction?
League of Legends Liquid Analytics with Coach Yaltz We spoke to Yaltz about what it takes to be a good analyst, the difficulties of coaching, and his vast amount of experience from guiding players through small amateur tournaments to leading the charge in a franchised league.
Dota 2 Team Liquid's TI Drafts: Analyzing Comfort Heroes Team Liquid recently placed second at the largest Dota 2 event of the year, The International. They made an incredible run through the lower bracket to reach the grand finals. With SAP's help, we took a closer look at Liquid’s run to identify what they did differently to achieve such success.